You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service. The test fee is CHF 369.
Before or after you register, why not take an IELTS course to make sure you make the most of your English on the test day?
Please note that there are websites pretending to be British Council IELTS registration sites. They are not associated with us and we are not responsible for the content on those sites.
Before you enter any personal details, please make sure that you are using our secure online registration system and check that “British Council” is spelt correctly.
To register for the test, simply follow the steps below.
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates (PDF, 934 KB) which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking tests will be completed on the same day. The Speaking test will take place in the afternoon. You will be given the exact time of your Speaking test when you take your seat in the test room in the morning.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. Prepare and send your documents
Please make sure you email us the following documents when you register for your test:
- A colour photograph/scan of your passport or national ID card (we accept ID cards for Swiss or EU citizens only), if you are unable to upload the document in the registration portal.
- For candidates under 18 years of age, the completed Minor Candidate Consent Form (in the Downloads section at the bottom of this page).
6. Choose your payment options
The cost of sitting a test is CHF 369. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
ii) Via a bank transfer
Bank name and address: Credit Suisse, 8070 Zurich
Bank Account Name and address: British Council Switzerland, 3013 Bern
IBAN: CH02 0483 5026 2603 5100 0
Bank Account Sort Code: 4835
iii) At the post office using an inpayment slip, in which case you must use the following details:
Credit Suisse, 8070 Zurich
CH02 0483 5026 2603 5100 0
British Council Switzerland
Post Account Number: 80-500-4 (for post office payments ONLY)
- In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write your 15-digit reference number followed by your name and surname, for example CH066-xxxxxx-xxxx - Luke Skywalker
- Payment should be made within five (5) days from the date of registration. If you register close to the test date we may require payment sooner.
- Please keep your bank transfer receipt in case of any problems with your payment.
By quoting the registration Reference Number as described above you ensure there is no delay in processing your application (such a delay may lead to a change of your preferred test date or cancellation of your registration).
7. Complete your registration
Send all documents from step 5 via email to email@example.com – all documents must be sent by email or uploaded during the online registration process.
We need to receive all documents within five working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
8. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
You can enter details of up to five receiving institutions in your online application form. If you wish to add more institutions after completing your application, please email us. We can send copies of your results to institutions for up to two years after your test date.
We will send you a confirmation email one week before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address. If you have not received this email one week before your test please let us know immediately.
For more information please contact our Exams Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy (in the IELTS refund and test day transfer form you can download below) prior to making a request.
- If you cancel your registration less than five working days after submitting the online application form you will receive a full refund of the test fee.
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a CHF85 administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit an IELTS refund and test day transfer form, which you can download below.
If you are unable to take the test due to unforeseen circumstances on the test day, please make sure we receive your transfer form and supporting documentation no more than five working days after the test date.
If you request a transfer more than five working days after submitting the online application form you will need to pay a CHF85 administration fee.